I’m often asked about the how of tuning into one’s intuition – what steps to follow, how complicated it is, and whether it requires a lot of practice.
The truth is that as long as you’re dedicated to and focused on the process, you can tune into your intuition in any number of ways. Of course, there are plenty of complicated rituals and more advanced methods – but this article is to introduce you to or remind you of the simple everyday ways that we can tune into our bodies, raise our vibrations, and connect to our inner voices.
Do I need to follow any special steps to listen to my intuition?
There are no special steps that you need to follow; tuning in will look slightly different for everyone based on their gifts, habits, and preferences. If you’re new to intuitive development, try whatever method resonates the most to quiet your mind and listen to your inner voice. You can always use another method later if you don’t feel a strong connection or if you would like to go deeper.
How complicated is it to hear my intuition?
It doesn’t have to be complicated at all. You can use any of the methods mentioned in this article or a number of other ways to connect. If you feel like you’re unable to establish any connection whatsoever, you may benefit from energy work to release your blocks or a long journaling session – focus on releasing fear, past associations, and/or conditioning (e.g. societal, religious, or familial).
Depending on your primary intuitive gift, you’ll generally receive spiritual information through visual or auditory cues, or through a general feeling or knowing. (Don’t know your primary intuitive gift? Take this quiz.) Scent and taste can also pass along spiritual information, but it’s less common to experience those. It’s possible to develop many or all of these senses, so don’t be surprised if you absorb intuitive information in multiple ways.
Does connecting to my intuition require a lot of practice?
Though regular practice through meditation or otherwise will allow you to connect more deeply with your intuition, you should be able to get plenty of information even as a novice or beginner. The key is to trust the information coming through – don’t question it or try to analyze it in the moment. If you want to look at the symbolism later on, you may want to keep an intuitive journal handy where you record your experiences and any information you receive.
What are some easy ways to connect to my intuition?
- Breathe through your diaphragm.
- Breathe deeply as you center yourself. Make sure that you’re breathing through your diaphragm and taking oxygen into your belly; if your breathing is shallow and your shoulders are raised, it doesn’t have the same effect.
- Connect with God.
- Pray and ask for energetic release, divine guidance, or spiritual signs.
- Sit or lie down quietly, focus on your breath, and observe your thoughts rather than engaging with them.
- Be grateful.
- Focus in on 1-2 things in your life that you’re grateful for. You’ll minimize stress and attract abundance.
- Close your eyes.
- Let go of external distractions to create a stronger connection.
- Take a walk, dance, swim, do yoga, or otherwise raise your heart rate to release stress and add endorphins.
- Listen to music.
- Choose high-vibe tracks or music with healing frequencies. 432Hz aids clarity; 440Hz activates the third eye; and 963Hz augments spiritual development.
- Create art.
- Work freely and allow whatever comes out to flow from you. You may choose to paint, write, make music, or use another medium that resonates for you.
- Sit with your journal and use the prompt, “What do I need to know right now?” Write down whatever comes to you, even if it doesn’t make sense or seems disjointed.
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself – whatever comes through for you is always right in the moment. Know that sometimes information comes in the form of symbolism, and sometimes it’s more direct. You’ll start to develop a shorthand for yourself the more frequently you tune in. For now, just enjoy the process of tuning in.